Monday, June 3, 2013

The Spotlight is on...Vantharoth OUM


Vantharoth OUM and the beautiful Cambodian landscape

1. Introduction
Vantharoth OUM works for Peace Corps Cambodia as the Education program Manager. She is 30 years old and lives in Phnom Penh with her family.

2. What activities related to Gender Development are you involved in?
I am now part of the WID/GAD committee. So far, I am also a fan of GLOW Camp . I joined this committee because I feel that Cambodian girls/women need to step up from the zone they are in now and do more great things in society. I believe that there are many awesome women out there and they need to be recognized for what they are doing.

3. How did you get to where you are today?
While I was a student, I spent my summers between school years volunteering at NGOs in Phnom Penh. When I finished my studies, I was accepted for my first job as a school health education program officer based in Koh Kong province. Personally, I did not have any Medical background, but I had teaching experience and I was a team leader through my work at university and through my volunteer work. I worked there for a year, and then Peace Corps came to Cambodia. I applied to work for PC through a recommendation of my former boss. Then I was offered a job as program assistant and was promoted to Program Manager in September 2010. That is it, my experience.

4. What do you think is the most important issue facing Cambodians today?
There are many issues for women and girls such as access to higher education, better health care, domestic violence...etc.
There are many opportunities for women in careers and other educational opportunities. I believe if they could step up a little bit by themselves or someone pushed them, I think they will have a bright future. They need to be pushed, because as we know, most Cambodian women were taught to be reserved. They are not used to speaking out for themselves.

5. What kinds of advice to you want to give the youth of Cambodia?
My key words to success as a young woman starting their career are: be smart, have initiative, be proactive, and alway say that "I can do it."

6. What is your favorite thing about your country?
Smiling and how polite the local community are to people.

7. Anything else? Weird hobbies or talents?
Nothing I can think of now.

No comments:

Post a Comment