Saturday, July 6, 2013

The Spotlight is on...HEN Vanny


Vanny Pic one
HEN Vanny in her element; the classroom

HEM Vanny is an English teacher and exceptional leader in Kampong Cham Province, Cambodia.

What activities related to Gender Development are you involved in?

I have been involved in many projects besides my teaching in public school. Firstly, I am an English Club Leader. I lead my team to achieve our goals like; the students can improve their English about how to write, to read, to speak, and to listen with confidence. The students have learned to be a leader by my integrating leadership lessons to them. The students improve their social skills by sending them out to the communities to learn more about different lives of the people in different families.


Second, I am an art club leader. I and my Peace Corps Volunteer counterpart help the students to have a chance to do what they want to do. I and the PCV are responsible to find the resources like the budget for materials, paint, field trips, and guest artist presentations. The goals in our art club are to show that our students are happy to show their talents and are able to reach their dreams in any way. Most of the schools in Cambodia do not have a chance to study art. 
I also like working with Peace Corps activities like Camp GLOW and Camp BUILD every year.


How did you get to where you are today?

I have been teaching in Hun Sen Kor High School for about fourteen years. I love my job because I can help many people, mostly adults in my community. I have a chance to develop my country by sharing my knowledge. I can share my experiences by participating in some workshops that are set up by NGOs or for the youth.


What do you think is the most important issue facing Cambodians today?

I think the most important issue facing Cambodia today are health problems, especially women’s health. Most of the women who do domestic work don’t really have time to get an education about health care. They learn from the older generation but the older generation doesn’t know much about how to keep healthy because Cambodia went through a war in the past, especially for the people who are older than 35 and live in remote areas. Unfortunately, they do not receive a good education about health. 
Most of the people in the countryside don’t get enough information, such as the news about social or world issues because they are poor and they need time to earn money for food every day.
The education needs to improve the qualities in order to reach the international standard to develop human resources.  


What kinds of advice do you want to give to the youth of Cambodia?

The youth should volunteer to share their knowledge to the community. The youth should also be involved with social activities. The youth should have strong abilities and be responsible to develop our country.


What is your favorite thing about your country?

My most favorite thing I like about my country are the people. The people of Cambodia are friendly and generous. By my observation people always help each other when others are in trouble.


Spotlight interview provided by PCV and fellow WIDGAD member Irene Primmer

No comments:

Post a Comment