Monday, July 15, 2013

The spotlight is on...KIMHENG PANN!


Kim&Jane
PCV Jane Campbell and Kimheng penn at a wedding ceremony

Hello Everybody! My name’s KIMHENG PANN.
I’m 31 years old and I live and work in Baray district Kampong Thom province, Cambodia. At the moment I’m a teacher of Moral Civics and English at Baray high school in my community. I also work for an English Access Micro scholarship Program at Cambodian Islamic Women Development Association (CIWODA) supported by the US embassy from 2008 till now and I have another one job at Cambodia Muslim students Association (CAMSA).

All jobs I’m working with the students in Baray high school and the youth in my community to development, I help them to study English languages, moral, computer, enhancement activities, cultures and give opportunities to the students for volunteering working on tree planting, gardening, school environment, and in formal English lesson to the children of their neighbors.

I always dream about my future goals - I’m going to become a good leader to help the youth and share experiences with them...especially girls. I want all the youths in Cambodia to have good habits, practice good culture, have high knowledge, self-confidence, be brave, responsible, and be involved in their community between studies. I hope they will become good youth in our country and have good jobs in their future.


What activities related to Gender Development are you involved in?
I partner with Peace Corps Volunteers to help all students improve in many ways in Baray community especially helping the youth to develop.

Futher more I have been working on these activities:
- I have just completed working with Peace Corps Volunteers and Camp STAR (Students taking active roles) 2013 in Kampong Thom Province; prepared by Peace Corps Volunteers, we had four schools participate and had boys and girls join together.
- In March I completed presentations about “HIV/AIDs/Gender” on the Grand camping at SONTOUK mountain in Kampong Thom.
-On International Women’s Day 2013 I lead the students and prepared a workshop in my community focusing on “Gender, Moral and Law related to women.” I had 347 students from Baray high school participate and it was supported by the Ministry of Tourism.
- June 2012 I presented on the topic “Empower of women in Cambodia” at the first ever boys conference in Kampong Saom Province with Peace Corps Volunteers.
- In March 2012, I worked with Peace Corps volunteer Jane, to organize a workshop in Baray high school focusing on “The youth volunteerism workshop” and helped boys and girls work together to help their community.
- In October 2011, I worked with PCV Jane to bring 12 females students to participant Camp Glow (Girls leading our world) in Kampong Cham Province. I presented on the topic “Goal setting and what the student should do in their community”.
- On Women's Day 2010, I prepared a meeting with 32 students to talk about “Human Trafficking” which included a field trip to Prasat Sombo Prey Kok, a historical site in Kampong Thom Province. The students read a document about “Women in Cambodia” which they practiced reading on the bus ride to the field trip.
- I helped train students to become trainers to give a presentation about “Violence against on women in family” at a public meeting at the Baray district office on Women’s day.


How did you get to where you are today?

The first job I had working for the English Access Microscholarship program at CIWODA, I received the position because I was chosen by Mrs. Mariyas kop secretary general at Ministry of Women’s affairs. Following this job, I worked at CAMSA. I also have been successful by using various activities and good communication with other people as well as partnering with Peace Corps volunteers. Nowadays all jobs I’m working in my hometown, Baray district, Kampong Thom Province, Cambodia.


What do you think is the most important issue facing Cambodians today?

Presently, Cambodia is developed than before but I always think that Cambodia still has problems especially amongst teenagers and youth whose main problems are education, morals, and culture. Most people in Cambodia always say the world's “Youth is the main resource for country development.” Nowadays, is this true or not?! If we look at all their behaviors and their activities, what are they doing now? How about their studies? Do they know they are most important for their country's development in the future? What they should do for themselves, family community and their country? Do they know that their country development in the future is in their hands? Although, everything is running development in Cambodia but I think that have advantages and disadvantages.

Students that study at university now, are also working between their studies because most of them come from poor families and they need money to support themselves during studying. Their studies are going in the same direction must be graduate of university. Some of them are much more energetic than students in High school and they can control themselves more. They try to search everything in order to increase their development. Some of them have scholarships in either public or private schools and also have some students have scholarship to study abroad and some students work in volunteerism between their studies because volunteering is a part of the training. They want work experience when they graduate university so they are more capable of doing better job. So they are marvelous and we should be proud of them. However, If we look back to the students in high school, it is most different. The percentage of high school students is much more than university in Cambodia and the education system is low level. I think that a little bit students try to study hard but most of them like playing more than studying.

Most schools still have some students that are truant, cheat on exams, temperament in their activities, fighting, drinking alcohol and a little bit students taking drugs. Some schools have not yet improved their education system and don’t try to control them. There is also a high percentage of girls that stop school to work in factories in Cambodia or neighboring countries.

In addition, most parents have more concern for their daughter than their son. Some parents do not allow their daughter to study at university after they graduate high school. Some parents worry about their children's behaviors when they leave home too far away from them. They don’t have support from their families all the time.


What kind of advice do you want to give to the youth of Cambodia?
Absolutely! Youth is good to get in touch with our society and it is most important that they attend to our community. The attendance of youth can enhance many activities, especially for gender equality. When youth are involved in the community it can improve the relationship between boys and girls, they can share their experiences, and it can improve education in society. I know that it’s not easy to work with the youth because they have many challenges; they need flexibility and patience, to use good communication, motivation and thanks-giving with them. I want them to get a lot of very good advice from people and to share experiences with them and I’ll try to do everything that I can do for them, try to show them the way to study, how to practice, how to work and live. What should they do when they leave home to study? Do they have goals or not yet for their future? How to get a good job?
Before and now I like working with the youth in my community because I want to help them. I love them because they try to work hard and they have goals in their future and I also give everyone to have opportunity to participate.


What is your favorite thing about your country?

Firstly, Cambodia is an amazing place for tourism everywhere around my country is so beautiful with beaches, rivers, lakes, waterfalls, mountains and especially Angkor Wat. Secondly, the character of Cambodia people are friendly, kind, have good relationships especially the children that are respectful, grateful for their parents and look after them when they are older. Lastly, the traditional and culture is very fascinating. I love the ceremonies, the dress, and the dancing.

Anything else? What do you like to do in your spare time?
I like planning activities and thinking, listening music, chatting with friends, travelling, reading books, watching TV, and I like dancing.


Spotlight interview provided by PCV and fellow WIDGAD leader/founder Jane Campbell

No comments:

Post a Comment