Monday, May 19, 2014

Host Mom: Ma Seu

Hello world, meet the most amazing (pseudo) host mother in the land, Momma Seu!



I first met the Seu family as I was taking a leisurely bike ride near my site. I heard a woman screaming excitedly which was the first person who had been that happy to really get to know me. I saw her waving me over in that upside-down Khmer wave. I immediately swung my bike around and headed back to where they were sitting. I was greeted with the warmest smile and encouragement to “on-goy lang” (sit-play). Luckily for me, Ma’s youngest daughter, Hapisash spoke fluent English and was able to help me translate as I was still new to Cambodia, and my site. Hapisash and I became fast friends and continued to study and participate in projects together for the rest of her grade 12 year.

I have gone to visit this family at least every other day, if not every day, since I began my service. Every single day my pseudo host mom’s face brightens as I arrive. We sit and talk about Cambodia, America, projects I’m doing, and family. Sometimes we don’t talk at all, but just sit and enjoy the serenity of the moment. I have taught them how to make some American food too such as hamburgers, tacos, and my favorite, pumpkin spiced pancakes! I think the hamburgers are their favorite. Ma also never forgets to invite me to fun outings with the family such as going to the Kep Sea Festival or a Leo Beer Concert in Kampot town. One of my favorite memories was within the first weeks of meeting them and they dressed me up in a traditional Muslim outfit, hijab and all, and proceeded to take pictures of me!

One of the things I like most about this family is how much they spoil me! My pseudo mom is always giving me iced-lemon teas, coconuts, bread, or any sweet that’s lying around. Last June, the family built a Halal restaurant in front of their house and I now even get free breakfast whenever I want it! My Ma will never take compensation for all they have given and done for me, and insist that I am their “goan” (child) and I am loved just the same.

There is no way I would have been able to make it through my Peace Corps service without Ma and her family. They are my sunshine on a rainy day and continue to give me purpose for being here. She has taught me so much about Khmer and Muslim culture and accepted me for who I am. I feel so incredibly blessed to have known her and feel tears on the verge whenever I think about how I am going to have to leave her one day.


Post provided by K6 Hayley Knicely; Community Health Education Volunteer in Kampot Province

No comments:

Post a Comment